Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Eagle County commissioners OK resolution committing to 100 percent renewable electricity

April 26, 2019, 12:14 pm

Eagle County has committed to using 100 percent renewable electricity for all county operations and facilities. Here’s a press release sent out Friday by Eagle County:

This week, the Eagle County Board of Commissioners adopted a resolution committing to 100% renewable electricity at all County operations and facilities. The County was able to reach this goal through participation in Holy Cross Energy’s Renewable Energy Purchase Program (REPP). The resolution also supports replacement of heating and transportation fuels with renewable energy sources, and general adoption of renewable energy in the larger community.

REPP gives all local residents and businesses the option to receive electricity from 100% renewable energy resources directly feeding the HCE grid. By participating in the program, Eagle County has reached its goal of reducing carbon pollution from internal operations 50% by 2030 immediately, eleven years ahead of schedule.

“It is important to have a systemic approach when it comes to sustainability initiatives, including the incorporation of renewable energy as a pillar of our operations,” stated Commissioner Matt Scherr.  “It is great to be able to be a leader in support of this initiative and as part of the Climate Action Collaborative.”

Eagle County, along with over 25 other organizations, adopted the Climate Action Plan for the Eagle County Community in 2016 which identified the goal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the Eagle County community 25% by 2025. To implement the plan, the organizations created the Climate Action Collaborative, led by Walking Mountains Science Center, to implement initiatives within the five sector areas of the plan: power supply, buildings, transportation, waste diversion, and education.

“Holy Cross Energy’s power supply is currently 39% renewable,” said Mike Steiner, HCE Key Accounts Specialist. “The REPP allows members to offset the remaining 61% and support goals outlined in our Seventy70Thirty plan.”

The Seventy70Thirty Plan identifies steps HCE will take to achieve 70% renewable energy and 70% carbon pollution reduction by 2030.

“All of the monies received through REPP go into the WeCare fund which provides resources and incentives to help place more renewables on the HCE grid system,” said Steiner.

Eagle County joins other jurisdictions, including Eagle River Water and Sanitation, Town of Basalt, Snowmass Village, and Town of Carbondale in committing to 100% renewable electricity through the REPP. 

For more information on the program, visit www.holycross.com or contact Mike Steiner at 970-541-5491 or msteiner@holycross.com.

One Response to Eagle County commissioners OK resolution committing to 100 percent renewable electricity

  1. Bill Reply

    April 26, 2019 at 9:10 pm

    Why do we never hear of the environmental impact of “renewables?” The thousands of birds that are killed every year by literally being cooked out of the sky over solar farms? What about the toxic components in solar panels? What about the vast tracks of land it takes for the renewables? Never hear about that.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *