Town of Vail offers transportation tips for 2015 World Championships
With the start of the 2015 FIS Alpine World Ski Championships just days away, the Town of Vail offers the following tips that will help skiers and spectators enjoy the festivities, Feb. 2-15.
Getting to Vail
- Use public transportation or carpool to Vail, as parking will be limited. Free spectator buses will be running regularly every 15 minutes between Vail, Avon and Beaver Creek daily from 7 a.m. to midnight beginning Monday, Feb. 2. Schedules are available at vailbeavercreek2015.com or download the Vail 2015 App.
- If you must drive, get to Vail early to find parking. Public parking will be available on a first-come, first-served basis in all levels of the Vail Village parking structure as well as all levels of the Lionshead parking structure, followed by overflow parking on the South Frontage Roads once the two structures are full. Watch the variable message signs for updates.
- Free parking is available in the Vail Village and Lionshead structures for two hours as well as free 30-minute parking for drop-off and other short-term needs. Also, arrive after 3 p.m. for free parking in both structures until 3 a.m. Entries between 1 and 3 p.m. require charges.
- Free outlying parking will be available along the North Frontage road across from the West Vail Mall from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. with easy access to the bus stop. Additional free parking will be available Monday through Thursday at the Vail Nordic Center, 1775 Vail Valley Dr., with the exception of Feb. 2. No parking will be available at Donovan Park. Visit vaileventparking.com for details.
- Regular parking pass restrictions for Blue and Green pass holders and Value Card holders will be in effect during the Championships. There are no additional restrictions.
- On-street neighborhood parking is prohibited town-wide and no parking is allowed on the shoulders of Interstate 70.
Getting to the Vail Venues
- Review the security bag check policy in advance and give yourself time to pass through the bag screening checkpoints at Championships Plaza at Solaris and the ski race venue at Golden Peak Stadium. Large bags are not permitted as well as alcohol, weapons, umbrellas and other items. For information on bag restrictions, visit vailgov.com.
- Avoid congestion by arriving an hour before the scheduled 6:30 p.m. start of the nightly Medals Ceremony in Championships Plaza and enjoy free evening concerts and fireworks. Park for free after 3 p.m. in the Lionshead parking structure and take the in-town shuttle to the event venue in Vail Village or catch the West Vail Red bus which will add a stop at the Lionshead Transit Center via the South Frontage Road.
- Never drink and drive. Retrieve your vehicle from the parking structure by 11 a.m. the next day compliments of the Town of Vail. While this service is available for exceptional circumstances, please remember to plan ahead and ride the bus, take a taxi or have a designated driver.
For Vail transit information, call 970-479-2178; for ECO Transit, call 970-328-3520; or for Vail parking information, call 970-479-2104.