Three-time Olympic medalist Kelly Clark, of Dover, Vt., topped the women’s halfpipe field Thursday in the stellar second day of the 32nd annual Burton US Open Snowboarding Championships presented by MINI at Vail Mountain, and China’s Yiwei Zhang turned in the top men’s score in qualifying for Saturday’s finals.
Six out of 16 women moved on to the finals and 10 of 31 men qualified in the two-run format on Vail’s 22-foot superpipe at Golden Peak. All events are free and open to the public, including today’s slopestyle finals.
Clark, a 2014 Olympic bronze medalist in Sochi and 2002 gold medalist, upped her first run score of an 82.20 with an 87.53 on her second run.
“It’s such a relief,” said Gold. “I didn’t really know if it was going to happen coming in because I’ve had some trouble in the last few contests, so I was happy to get in with my first run score.”
Gold ran out of room in his last qualifying run at the Olympics and missed the finals.
Watch the top 10 men from semi-finals battle it out for the 2014 Burton US Open halfpipe title and the $45,000 first place cash purse, on Saturday beginning at 2pm MST on FOX Sports 2 and Burton.com/USO.
Women’s Halfpipe Semi-Final Results:
1. Kelly Clark (USA), BURTON, 87.53
2. Queralt Castellet (ESP), YONEX, 85.40
3. Chloe Kim (USA), BURTON, 78.83
4. Hannah Teter (USA), BURTON, 74.08
5. Sophie Rodriguez (FRA), OAKLEY, 72.90
6. Rana Okada (JPN), BURTON, 72.78
Men’s Halfpipe Semi-Final Results:
1. Yiwei Zhang (CHN), MINI, 93.00
2. Taylor Gold (USA), BURTON, 84.38
3. Ben Ferguson (USA), BURTON, 81.85
4. Gabe Ferguson (USA), BURTON, 80.50
5. Jake Pates (USA), BURTON, 79.63
6. David Habluetzel (SUI), BURTON, 78.80
7. Louie Vito (USA), VIVE, 78.65
8. Taku Hiraoka (JPN), BURTON, 77.35
9. Kent Callister (AUS), LIB TECH, 76.28
10. Christian Haller (SUI), BURTON, 75.28
Tomorrow, don’t miss day three of the Burton US Open with slopestyle finals beginning at 11:30am MST, with live coverage on FOX Sports 2 andBurton.com/USO.